Thursday, October 14, 2010

Ab work

Well, Today I started on ab work. I'm not sure if many know this, but when a women is pregnant in order to adjust to her growing baby (and belly) her stomach muscles literally separate. For some women the muscles don't go back together postpartum, and that is why some have the "mummy tummy." It's not even that they are chubby, it's that the organs are literally being held in by skin instead of muscle. That is why those stomach bands (B-band, postpartum band, etc) help because they help the stomach muscles come back together. Also, if a women does ab crunches, or any kind of stomach exercise and her muscles have not come back together, she can cause her stomach muscles to separate more, which is no good. 

Fortunately, when I went on my six week check up, my stomach muscles had returned, but I haven't had the energy to start doing ab exercises until now. Awhile ago we bought this wheel thing and I'm not sure if I can actually describe how to use it, but it exercises your abs, back, and arm muscles. It's actually pretty nifty, and a real work out. I used it today before my run. Let's see if it works. I'll keep you updated on my progress and if it helps flatten this belly of mine.

What workouts have you done or are doing to get the tummy in tone?

No comments:

Post a Comment